It is a picture-perfect winter world outside my window, tonight is a Full Moon, and it’s the weekend where many will be celebrating Valentine’s Day. When February can feel like a throwaway month, I try to focus on the enchantment that it brings.
A view this morning (above), after yesterday’s 5 inches of snow…
Born and raised in upstate New York, I am no stranger to snow days and relish the opportunity to enjoy one. Plus, the colder it is, the more cuddly the copilots are.
COOKING + EATING
Here’s some of what I’ve been eating (still patiently waiting for longer days with better lighting). Lots of food in bowls this time of year!
Vegetable Curry with Tofu Bites. This bowl includes basmati rice, a tomato/coconut vegetable curry I made off the cuff, and these amazing Popcorn Tofu bites, which I baked on a Silpat instead of frying (no oil!).
Winter Beauty Blend. This bowl contains buckwheat groats, a mushroom/collard greens mix, and a dollop of homemade hummus – the best I’ve ever had! Hummus recipe from Vegetable Literacy – a must for any gardener/plant-based enthusiast!
Burrito Bowl. A standard that I make weekly – brown rice, assortment of veg and beans, topped with guacamole, cilantro, and lime juice. And Cholula!
Pasta. This is a cauliflower and tomato alfredo sauce over red lentil penne with mushrooms and collard greens yet again. Topped with parsley. A little soupy, but very satisfying.
Mushroom Powders – lots of them! Pictured: the “king” and “queen” of fungi.
I have been a fan of Four Sigmatic for a little over a year, starting when I worked for The Chalkboard Mag and helped edit this interview with the founder. I was recently gifted with one of their Contribution Boxes for cancer patients (how amazing!) and have been enjoying lots of shroomy goodness. If you know a patient in need of some healing via fungi, hook them up! I mix these powders with hot water, coffee, tea, smoothies, soups…. you name it.
If you’re not familiar with the healing powers of mushrooms, I suggest visiting Four Sigmatic and their new online academy to learn more (it’s free!). Their first course is about an hour’s worth of well produced content chock full of fascinating fungi facts.
- The Mushroom Death Suit is the Latest in Post-Mortem, Eco-Friendly Fashion – Found via Four Sigmatic’s Mushroom Academy. Already a fan of green burial myself, this takes it a big, unexpected, step further!
- Are You Ready For This Month’s Full Moon? – Triple threat: full moon + eclipse + comet!
- Man Spends 40 Years Alone In The Woods And Now Scientists Love Him – Speaking of measuring snow…
- Levi’s Is Radically Redefining Sustainability – “What would happen if we could change culture in such a way that consumers imagined the end of life of the product they bought?”
- Fossil Free Funds – Now more important than ever to think about. Are you investing in industries you don’t actually support?
- The More Things Change – Patagonia makes some of the most beautiful and inspirational short films.