My plates have gone into garnish overload.
Blame the ever-burgeoning bounty of spring goodies, which are happily piling up in my kitchen. Also piling up is my penchant for pasta, and I am happy to report that this meal came together better than my wildest hopes and dreams.
I added some of the fresh peas that are dangling everywhere throughout my current garden, and especially love the rich purple and vibrant yellow colors they brought to this plate. Move over, chive blossoms.
These beauties are Blue Podded Peas…
The yellow ones in the header photo are Golden Sweet Peas.
From dangling to dinner…
See what I mean about garnish overload? Here’s what’s hiding under all those toppings…
Plant-Based Rainbow Pad Thai
1 T Chili Garlic Sauce
1/4 C Tamari
Splash of Vegan Worcestershire
1 T Honey
3 T Peanut Butter
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
2 t Fresh Ginger
1 T Rice Wine Vinegar
2 cloves of Garlic
½ – 1 C Water
- Add everything to a small sauce pot, heat until gently bubbling and peanut butter has melted completely.
- Whisk everything well and turn down heat to a low simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add more water and/or Tamari to thin out if necessary.
Vegetables + Mushrooms:
½ White Onion
5 oz Shiitake Mushrooms
½ Red Bell Pepper
2 cloves of Garlic
- Chop everything into thin, uniform slices. Press the garlic or finely mince.
- Heat up a sauté pan over medium high heat, add a bit of oil and the onions. Give them a few minutes.
- Add everything else in order, giving each a few minutes to cook down before adding the next.
- Add garlic for the last minute or so, then remove from heat.
225 g Rice Noodles
- Cook according to directions (should only take about 5 minutes).
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce and sautéed veggies.
Garnishes (all optional):
Any bell pepper would do here, and feel free to plug and play whatever vegetables you enjoy or have on hand. As usual, don’t feel tethered by my ingredients and instructions. There is lots of room to play here.
This taste of the rainbow was a huge hit, garnishes and all. 🌈