I grew up on creamy potato salad full of mayonnaise and hardboiled eggs.
It was a dream.
I still crave a creamy, cold potato salad when the weather gets sunnier, but my go-to recipe is far different these days. And far simpler, which is especially nice as a follow-up to this recipe I shared.
I make a big batch of guacamole every week and had heard of this idea I’m about to share, but hadn’t given it a try. If only I knew what I had been missing.
This super simple combination is perhaps even better than the potato salad I inhaled as a child throughout every 4th of July. Okay maybe that’s a stretch, but this option is a damn good alternative.
Creamy Guacamole Potato Salad
Thats right. Just boiled potatoes + guacamole.
Let me break it down.
MY HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
4 – 6 ripe Avocados (depending on size)
Juice of 1 Lime
¼ C finely diced Red Onion
¼ C finely diced Tomatoes
1 – 2 pressed cloves of Garlic (or ½ – 1 t Garlic Powder)
Salt + Pepper to taste
Handful of fresh Cilantro
(optional) Pinch of Smoked Paprika, splash of Cholula
- Slice avocados in half, score the flesh into a grid, and scoop into a large bowl.
- Add lime juice to the bowl, mash it all with a fork to the texture of your liking (a smoother guac works best for the potato salad).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, adjusting salt + pepper + additional lime juice to your liking.
- Refrigerate and enjoy it getting better and better the longer it has to meld together.
The hardest part is now done. Woo hoo! Feel free to grab some tortilla chips and stop right here.
Or continue on to the main event…
CREAMY GUACAMOLE POTATO SALAD
(optional garnishes) Cilantro, chive blossoms
- Choose the potato you like best (Yukon gold, russet, or red work fine). You’ll need 1 large potato for every 2 people to serve this as a side dish.
- Keep the skin on or peel potatoes, chop into even pieces, and boil in salted water until very tender.
- Drain potatoes, allow them to cool completely.
- Mix in the desired amount of homemade guacamole (it doesn’t take much). Adding an additional, whipped avocado will stretch the “dressing” a bit more.
- Garnish with more salt, onions, cilantro, chives or chive blossoms… whatever else your heart desires.
Good luck keeping your paws off this one. Yum!